Chicken Salad with Cherries, Apple and Goat Cheese
Yield: 4 Salads
2 each Chicken breasts, flattened slightly (about 1lb. total), seasoned with salt & pepper.
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 each Orange, juice and zest
1 small head Bibb lettuce
2 cups Arugula
1 each Apple, sliced
To taste Kosher salt
1 recipe Apple Cider Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1 cup Cherries, pitted and halved
¼ cup Marcona almonds, roughly chopped
¼ lb Goat Cheese
¼ cup Basil, torn
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil to the pan and lay the chicken in the pan skin side down. Lower the heat and cook slowly on the one side until golden brown, about five-10 minutes depending on thickness. Turn the chicken, deglaze the pan with some orange juice, sprinkle the chicken with the zest, cover and cook briefly on the other side. Internal temperature should read 165 degrees on a digital thermometer when done. Remove from the heat and allow to rest before slicing.
Toss the bibb lettuce, arugula and apple with some of the vinaigrette, adding a pinch of kosher salt. Transfer to a serving bowl. Slice the chicken against the grain and arrange on top of the lettuce. Arrange the cherries and almonds around the chicken. Top with the crumbled goat cheese and basil. Drizzle with a bit more vinaigrette.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Yield: approx.1/2 cup
- 1 each shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- to taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine shallot, mustard, thyme and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.