With today’s headlines, risk management is on every event professional’s radar. The best way to take steps toward protecting your attendees in the case of emergency is to have a clear emergency management plan for each event you host. While creating a comprehensive risk management plan takes significant time and effort, there are a handful of steps you can immediately implement into your existing events to help get you started.
Hire local PD.
Collect emergency contact information (and actually have it readily available).
Partner with your venue.
- Do they have a crisis/emergency plan in place?
- As a planner, who is my main point of contact on-site during an emergency?
- How will I be notified of an emergency?
- Where are your evacuation meeting locations?
- Where are fire extinguishers, first aid kits and automatic electronic defibrillators (AEDs) located on-site?