What is creativity? So much has been written about it and there’s probably no other topic, which is as mystified and glorified as creativity. Finnish creative director, Saku Tuominen, defines creativity as the ability to see and the desire to do things better. What I like about this definition is that it doesn’t only focus on planning and ideas but emphasizes the point of making an effort for attaining better results. Creativity is passion for finding ways and doing things better. Being truly creative makes you vulnerable and takes a lot of courage. It can change the world we live in! How you can become more creative? There’s no shortcut to creativity but here’s a few tips, which work for me:
- Listen more than you talk. Ask a lot of questions. You’ll learn nothing by talking.
- Break your routines and try something new.
- Express yourself through writing, dancing, music, cooking, fashion or visual arts.
- Travel a lot. Read, dream, and go to the movies. Visit creative spaces like museums, stores, fashion shows, exhibitions, cafes, restaurants, hotels, theaters, amusement parks, toy stores etc.
- Take time to find inspiration. The best creatives go through a lot of inspiration during the day.
- Surround yourself with other creatives—people who live differently than you do. Value people who are brave enough to be different.