Jon Schmieder, founder and CEO of Huddle Up Group, is among the most well-connected people in the sports tourism industry—but just because you see him everywhere doesn’t mean you know all there is to know about him. Here, he fills in the blanks on some pressing personal stats.
2. I never leave the house without ChapStick.
3. If I had to eat one food for the rest of my life, it would be anything cooked by chef Eric Klein at Spago Las Vegas.
4. Growing up, I was sure I would be an athletic director.
5. I know every word to the song “Rainbow Connection” by Kermit the Frog (written by Paul Williams).
6. If I could only watch one sport every day, it would be pro football.
7. My nickname in high school was Wishbone.
8. Next time the Olympics are in the U.S., they should be held in Denver (Winter and Summer back to back).
9. At a sports tourism conference, you can typically find me next to our clients.
10. I started the Huddle Up Group because I saw a need for better sharing of frontline experiences with the next generation of sports tourism and events leaders.
11. I think the hardest part about creating a sports commission is balancing different stakeholder interests toward a larger common cause.
12. I believe the single most important quality in a leader is compassion.
14. My go-to in-flight beverage of choice is Dos Equis on American Airlines.
15. The destination at the top of my travel bucket list is Spain.
16. I’m sure I could run the Browns/Raiders/Dolphins/Redskins/Texans/Jaguars/Rams better than their current management.
17. The last book I read was “God and Jetfire” by Amy Seek. It’s a birth mother’s view of the adoption process, which my wife and I are going through. It gave great perspective.
18. I think the biggest challenge of hosting a youth sporting event is making sure the event rights holder focuses on everything inside the lines.
19. My least favorite part of social media is its overuse. Nothing beats a meeting and a handshake.
20. In 10 years, I’m betting the sports tourism industry will be even more advanced and professionalized than it is today.
22. The last piece of sports paraphernalia I bought was a hand-painted pair of Vans shoes at the USA BMX Hall of Fame banquet.
23. The athlete I’d most like to spend a day with is Jack Nicklaus.
24. I think team handball is the most underrated sport.
25. My dream sports event to attend is a Rose Bowl that includes The University of Arizona.