The average day in the life of Ken May revolves around changing the perception of golf on a worldwide scale. NBD, right? Since Dallas-based May took the driver’s seat two years ago, Topgolf has grown to more than 30 driving range-on-steroids locations around the country (plus three in the United Kingdom), the most recent being a haute venue in Las Vegas (see above)—complete with its own pool. Next up? A location in Australia, set to open in 2017. Peek inside what else is in May’s mind, when he’s not working on global business deals in the name of sports.
2. I never leave the house without my iPhone.
3. If I had to eat one food for the rest of my life, it would be soup.
4. Growing up, I was sure I would be tall.
5. I know every word to the song “Sweet Home Alabama.”
6. If I could only watch one sport every day, it would be basketball.
7. My nickname in high school was Sugar Britches.
8. Next time the Olympics are in the U.S., they should be held in Dallas.
9. At a sports tourism conference or event, you can typically find me presenting.
10. I played my best round of golf/hit my best shot ever at Mountain Ranch in Arkansas.
11. The hardest part about working in the sports industry is getting established.
12. I believe the single most important quality in a leader is serving others.
13. Tony Dungy is the sports leader I admire most.
14. My go-to in-flight beverage of choice is cold beer.
15. The destination at the top of my travel bucket list is St. Barts.
16. My favorite part of my job is hanging out with our associates.
17. The last book I read was “Emotional Intelligence 2.0.”
18. I think the biggest challenge to hosting a youth sporting event is the parents.
19. My least favorite part about social media is lack of privacy.
20. In 10 years, I’m betting the sports industry will be 10 years older.
21. My first job was delivering newspapers.
22. The last piece of sports paraphernalia I bought was a signed Muhammad Ali photograph.
23. The athlete I’d most like to spend a day with is Michael Jordan.
24. The most underrated sport these days is curling.
25. My dream sports event to attend is an NBA All-Star Game.